> This is answered by the PEP:
>> A partial output implementation, where strings passed to fp.write()
> would be converted to use fp.newlines as their line terminated but
> all other output would not is far too surprising, in my view.
>> Because there is no output support for universal newlines there is
> also no support for a mode "rU+": the surprise factor of the
> previous paragraph would hold to an even stronger degree.
I've read that, but I don't agree with the second paragraph. Universal
newline support is available only for input. This sentence is enough to
easily predict the behavior in every usage case, including "+" modes.
If there's any intent to add support to output, then I'd understand
the exclusion, since this would make backwards compatibility possible
(users of "rU+" could have their code broken, since they were doing
output by hand). Otherwise, it should be allowed, IMO.
--
Gustavo Niemeyer
[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5 60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]