Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:
> [Michael Hudson]
> > ...
> > So what I'm suggesting is that if you want a checkin to be ported to
> > release22-maint you should add a specific bit of text to the chickin
> > message. Does this seem reasonable?
>> Yes, but you have to Pronounce on which specific bit of text you want to
> see.
I realise this. It will probably be something along the lines of
AutoPorter: 21, 22
(assuming you intend the fix to be applied to release21-maint and
release22-maint). This obviously needs to be something everyone knows
about, so I'll document it under www.python.org/dev in large friendly
letters.
It's also likely that this will result in an email back saying "do it
yourself" if up -j can't do it (i.e. returns non-zero exit status).
> It's going to get much more complicated if we intend to backport fixes
> across 2 or 3 years of older releases. I predict that's not going to work
> unless we establish an easy-to-update patch database recording which patches
> have and haven't been applied to each old release, which should and
> shouldn't be applied to each old release, and everyone is serious about
> keeping that up to date.
I've had similar thoughts. Maybe it's time to learn about CGI...
> I'm not aware of any commerical organizations with full-time QA
> departments that sign up for something so messy, and I'm not
> sanguine about our prospects of pulling it off (the older the code,
> the more likely "a bugfix" is to create at least as many problems as
> it solves; and the more active branches, the more likely fixes to
> get dropped on the floor).
Indeed.
> > Another random point: it would be nice if on checking a bugfix into
> > HEAD people *said* if *they* planned to port the fix themselves.
> > Otherwise I see the message that says "bugfix candidate", hit they key
> > that copies it into my special bugfixes folder, then read on and find
> > it's already been ported and have to go and find the copy and delete
> > it. TIA.
>> I already do all that stuff, so stop yelling at me <wink>.
Well, I can't remember who has done this to me, but people have.
> [Martin v. Loewis]
> > If I'm going to commit the same patch onto the maintainance branch, I
> > usually don't mark it as "bugfix candidate".
If I can be awkward (and in fact, even if I can't <wink>), I'd like to
ask for more than that; sometimes people forget to mark bugfix
candidates. So I'd like "I am going to check this in to the 22
branch". At least until I get more automation (at which point if you
forget to mark your checkin, tough titties).
Cheers,
M.
--
Screaming 14-year-old boys attempting to prove to each other that
they are more 3133t than j00.
-- Reason #8 for quitting slashdot today, from
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/klee/misc/slashdot.html