[Barry]
> I'd much rather see a patch that just changed zip() to be an iterator
> instead of adding an iterzip(). I doubt that much in-field code would
> break because of it (but write the PEP to find out. ;).
You're brave. Changing something incompatibly that's been in the
language since 2.1? I wish you luck though -- zip() really should
have been an interator.
> GvR> I wish. Since they were there first, it's hard to get rid of
> GvR> them. (If you're truly masochist, write a PEP and post it to
> GvR> c.l.py to find out how hard. :-)
>> The PEP would have to specify a migration plan, i.e. the builtins are
> identical to the functional module versions, and would a deprecation
> schedule, etc.
I wasn't serious. There's no way we can deprecate any builtin before
Python 3.
--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)