BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

View Stats:
[Linux] Game wont run
Runner 2 is crashing on start giving the following error: Failed to load necessary sound data. Game will exit. (437278 0x723acf08).

I'm running Manjaro 0.8.7 which is based on Arch.

I think it's possibly a missing dependency?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
< >
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
Since pc gaming on linux is fairly new, you'd probably get better results using a more popular and support distro like Ubuntu or one of its variants.
Thanks for your reply. I agree, that would be the best thing to do. However I rely on the AUR for a lot of software that Ubuntu doesn't have. Also I love the package manager. Every other Steam game I've tired works. Does anyone know where crash logs are kept for this game?
Install the lib32-alsa-plugins package and the game will load.
Ah thanks! I had it installed, but there was a conflict with another package. All working now :)
Good!

For the record - you could have figured this out by running steam from a commandline window, then launching the game, and paying attention to the errors printed.
It prints an error about a missing .so file, which the pkgfile command then lists as being provided by lib32-alsa-plugins.
I'm getting the same error in Korora 19 32bit.

Except running it from the terminal it says this:
render: GL is hardware accelerated finished initializing renderer starting game initialization loading sound project... FMOD error 60: Error initializing output device. FMOD error 31: FMOD was not initialized correctly to support this function. Fatal error Failed to load necessary sound data. Game will exit. (437278 0x723acf08) Game removed: AppID 218060 "BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien", ProcID 18386

No missing libs, just an FMOD ♥♥♥♥ up.
Same here with a fedora 19 64bit.

Popup with "(437278 0x723acf08)" and FMOD error in the console :/
I thought Valve advised developers to use steam-runtime and if they use libraries outside of it they should just bundle it with the game.
Sounds like the FMOD stuff is probably caused by an outdated version of FMOD being installed. I'd say compile a newer version by hand, or wait for your distro to update.

Of course, the devs really *should* include all dependencies - but I do understand how hard it is to do this with so many different distros out there...
Originally posted by Thulinma:
Sounds like the FMOD stuff is probably caused by an outdated version of FMOD being installed. I'd say compile a newer version by hand, or wait for your distro to update.

Of course, the devs really *should* include all dependencies - but I do understand how hard it is to do this with so many different distros out there...

But FMOD is not a system library, I think the game is already providing it :
./SteamApps/common/bittriprunner2/libfmodex-4.44.08.so ./SteamApps/common/bittriprunner2/libfmodex.so ./SteamApps/common/bittriprunner2/libfmodevent.so

And I have another steam games with FMOD libraries (don't starves, killing floor, brutal legend, mark of the ninja...) and they work perfectly ! Versions are differents (4.32.20, 4.42.16, 4.44.07, 4.44.14...) but all look similar (ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked).
But !...
If I look at the console logs : before the fatal error and all the GL parts, I have many errors with ALSA as you can see
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '$CARD' ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=PCH,DEV=0 ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=PCH ALSA lib conf.c:4571:(parse_args) Unknown parameter DEV ALSA lib conf.c:4704:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such file or directory ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.front.1:CARD=PCH' ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=PCH,DEV=0 ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=PCH ALSA lib conf.c:4571:(parse_args) Unknown parameter CARD ALSA lib conf.c:4704:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such file or directory ALSA lib pcm_ioplug.c:920:(snd_pcm_ioplug_create) ioplug: Plugin version mismatch ... starting game initialization loading sound project... FMOD error 60: Error initializing output device. FMOD error 31: FMOD was not initialized correctly to support this function. Fatal error
Note: in reality I have more than 300 lines like that (with all my sound output devices)

Strange... seems to be a bug somewhere...

My system use alsa-lib-1.0.27.2 (always on a fedora 19), of course I'm using pulseaudio, and I don't have other sounds problem.
Oh! Well, in that case, have you tried using an FMOD from a game that does work?

It could also be completely unrelated to the library, of course. Unfortunately the error code is rather nondescript - "error initalizing sound device" could mean anything. Are you using pulseaudio/alsa/jack/some combination or something else? I'm on pulseaudio with alsa plugins myself, and that works, at least...

EDIT: Just read the second post. That looks like a faulty alsa config file, I think. Try deleting your alsa configuration? (back it up first, of course!) Should be in /etc/asound.conf or somewhere similar.
I was able to work around this on Fedora 19 by starting Steam thus:

env STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam
Please, fix this.
I'm getting this error on PC, because of my Xbox controller and USB Razor Megalodon headset, somehow conflicts with eachother.

When I only unplug the controller, the game starts without the error, and there's sound through the headset, and when I pug the controller back in, the game won't recognize it.

When I only unplug the headphones, the game also starts without the error, but the sound comes out of my laptop speakers, and when I plug the controller back in, it still plays through the speakers.

Same happens when I play the game "140".

Edit: Later I found out that my controller doesn't have enough power when my razor headset is pugged in, because the headset uses soo much power through the laptop, that the laptop cant power up both of them at the same time.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 36 comments
Per page: 1530 50